What is the secret to writing blogs that rank for relevant keywords and earn backlinks on high-domain authority sites?
The answer is evergreen content.
Evergreen content is something you have probably encountered if you are involved in SEO or any other digital marketing campaign. Digital marketing professionals have probably told you that you should publish such content on your site.
We have compiled all the information necessary to help you understand evergreen content, its importance for your website, and how it can benefit your content marketing strategy.
Let’s get started.
What is Evergreen Content?
According to a Cleveland SEO company, evergreen content refers to a long-lasting and sustainable type of content that is always relevant and current for a lot of readers. Its name, evergreen, comes from the evergreen tree, which features green leaves whatever the season.
The tree also symbolizes perpetual life. Like the tree, evergreen content does not lose value and stays relevant for a long time.
While pretty much all content will never disappear from the internet (unless, of course, removed by the publisher), it doesn’t mean all of them can be considered “evergreen.”.
Experts refer to one being “evergreen” as something that would stay relevant regardless of time and trends.
There are many types of evergreen content, but these are the most popular examples:
- Guides to Buying
- Top Tips
- How-To Guides
These are only formats. Your website’s articles and blogs won’t be considered evergreen if they don’t have a relevant topic over time. A killer evergreen topic is one that you believe will be relevant for many decades.
What is Not an Evergreen Content
These examples of content that are not considered evergreen will help you better understand the concept.
- Articles About Fashion Trends
- Blogs about Seasons and Holidays
- Numerical Reports and Statistics
- News Posts and Other Related Reports
- Common Evergreen Content Formats
Evergreen Content Topic Examples
For you to have an idea of what it is all about, here are some evergreen topics :
- Different ways to enjoy ice cream
- The many ways to cook eggs
- How to lose weight
- Tips to take care of dogs
- Parenting tips
- How to save money
- How to cook a steak
How to Create an Evergreen Post
We’ve discussed evergreen content, its limitations, and the various formats. Now it’s time for the hard work. This process will help you create evergreen posts on your website, so it is time-proof.
1. Get Content Ideas
A thorough conceptualization is a key to any great content, whether long-lasting or not. It is essential to be open to new ideas constantly. Here’s a guide to help you figure out where and how to start.
- Topic Search: You can use many topic research tools such as Ahrefs and SEMrush to help you find the right topics. These tools can help you identify relevant topics for your website, specifically the products or services you offer. Remember which keywords your audience will likely search for when you gather ideas.
- Keyword Research: Once you’ve found great ideas for a post or article, you need to think about how to rank it in search results. The key to success is using the right keywords. These tools are also helpful for keyword research.
- Search Intent: You must also verify the search intent behind the keywords you find. You can also check the ranking history for keywords using the same tools to determine if the intent of the keywords is clear. If it is, you can start planning how you will write your content.
For inspiration, you should look at as many examples of evergreen content as possible. To find a better structure and style, take your time.
2. Plan Your Content
Once you have finalized your content’s topic, title, and ideas, you can begin planning its structure. This is the most challenging part of the process as you must consider how to create the best content possible.
Because many people are trying to create an evergreen blog post, you may find many people writing on the same topic. Make sure you invest time, effort, and resources to create unique content.
You should search the most popular websites for similar content to the one you plan to publish. Just make sure you have a better structure for your content and take your time when writing. Also, don’t forget the following:
- Internal Linking
- On-Page SEO Elements (metadata, title tags, and headlines)
3. Promote Your Content
Publishing evergreen content is only the beginning. To ensure your content reaches the right audience, it is a good idea to have a solid promotion strategy. You have many options here, including:
- Social Media Promotion
- Link Building
- Email Marketing
- Content Marketing
Evergreen content has many benefits. It attracts people to your site regularly. It is reliable and doesn’t drop in organic traffic over time—the more people who visit your website regularly, the better the conversion rates.