Is your business data safe? Like most small businesses, you probably store all your essential data on your computer. But what would happen if your computer crashed? Or stolen? Or if a natural disaster struck and destroyed everything in your office? Your business would be in big trouble.
But there is a solution. You can host your Microsoft Access Database online, keeping your data safe and accessible no matter what happens to your computer. In this article, we’ll explain why hosting a Microsoft Access Database online is better than hosting it on your computer.
What is a Microsoft Access Database?
A Microsoft Access database is a collection of data organized in a specific way so that it can be easily accessed and updated. Access databases are used to store information such as customer data, product information, and inventory data. They are often used by businesses to track and manage their data.
Access databases are created using the Microsoft Access software application. The software allows users to create and manage their databases and query and report their data. Access databases can be stored on a computer’s hard drive, network drive, or cloud.
Tips for Using Microsoft Access Database
If you are new to using Microsoft Access Database, here are a few tips to help you get started:
- Create a Backup: Always create a backup before making any changes to your database. You can restore your database to its previous state if something goes wrong.
- Test Changes: Before making changes to your database, test them first. Make sure that your changes work as intended and don’t break anything.
- Export Data Regularly: Export your data regularly so that you have a copy of it stored outside of your database. This is important in case your database gets corrupted or deleted.
- Host Your Database Online: Hosting your database online has many benefits, such as improved security and enhanced collaboration. If you are not already doing so, consider hosting your database online.
Why is it Better to Host a Microsoft Access Database Online?
There are several reasons why hosting a Microsoft Access Database online is better than hosting it on your computer.
More Storage Space
When you host your database online, you’ll have access to more storage space than you would if you stored it on your computer. This is because most cloud-based storage providers offer unlimited storage space. So, you can store as much data as you need without worrying about running out of space.
When you store your database on your computer, only people who have access to that computer can view and update the data. But when you host your database online, you can give others access to it so they can also view and update the data. This is useful if you need to share data with employees, customers, or partners.
Data Loss Prevention
One of the small businesses’ most significant concerns about storing data on their computers is the risk of data loss. If your computer crashes or is destroyed, you could lose all of your business data. But when you store your database online, it will be backed up and protected from data loss. So, your data will still be safe even if something happens to your computer.
Increased Flexibility and Accessibility
One of the most significant benefits of hosting your Microsoft Access database online is that it increases the flexibility and accessibility of your data. When you host your database online, you can access it from anywhere in the world with an internet connection. This is perfect for businesses with employees who work remotely or travel often.
Additionally, hosting your database online also makes sharing data with clients and partners in different parts of the world easier.
Another reason it is better to host your Microsoft Access database online is that it enhances the security of your data. When you host your database online, you can take advantage of security features such as two-factor authentication and password encryption unavailable when you store your data offline.
Additionally, hosting providers such as SharePoint offers security features that can help protect your data from unauthorized access. Also, SharePoint version history allows you to easily revert back to specific changes.
Hosting your Microsoft Access database online allows for improved team members’ collaboration. When multiple people need to access and update a shared database, it can be very difficult to track who made what changes and when they were made.
However, when you host your database online, you can take advantage of features such as version control which make it easy for team members to see who made what changes and when they were made. This helps ensure everyone is always on the same page and reduces the risk of errors.
How to Host a Microsoft Access Database Online?
There are two ways you can host a Microsoft Access Database online: using a cloud-based storage service or using a web-based database service.
- Cloud-Based Storage Services: Cloud-based storage services like Microsoft Azure, Google Drive, and Dropbox allow you to store files in the cloud. You can then access those files from any device with an Internet connection. To host a Microsoft Access Database in the cloud, you must first download and install the Access Database app on your virtual desktop. Once the app is installed, you can create a new database or upload an existing one. After your database is uploaded, you can share it with others by giving them the link to the file.
- Web-Based Database Services: Web-based databases, such as Microsoft Azure and Amazon AWS, allow you to host your database on their servers. You must sign up for an account and create a new database to use a web-based database service. After your database is created, you can give others access to it by providing them with the link to the database.
Which option you choose depends on your needs. A cloud-based storage service would be the easiest option if you just need to share your database with a few people. But if you need to share your database with many people or if you need to use it for business purposes, then using a web-based database service would be the better option.
There are many benefits of hosting a Microsoft Access Database online. By hosting your database online, you’ll have access to more storage space, you’ll be able to share it with others, and you’ll have less of a chance of experiencing data loss.
Additionally, hosting your database online also enhances the security of your data and allows for improved collaboration between team members. So, if you’re not already doing it, we recommend that you start hosting your databases online today.