Starting a new skincare routine shouldn’t be a guessing game. It should be about finding a manageable system that you can stick to, with products that are suitable for your skin type.
If you know you want to look after your skin, but you aren’t sure where to start, we are here to help.
In the following article, we will discuss skin types, must-have products, and any specific skin concerns you may have. New to skincare or want to switch up an existing routine? Read on.
What’s Your Skin Type?
Before you start your new skincare routine you need to know your skin type. This will help you choose the right product range and ensure your regime works for you, not against you. If you have:
- Normal skin: You can use most products. Normal skin isn’t dry and isn’t oily, and you won’t be prone to sensitivity.
- Dry skin: You will need products that hydrate and nourish. Signs of dryness include flaking, rough patches, and redness. You may even experience itchiness.
- Oily skin: You will be more likely to have clogged pores and breakouts. Your skin may feel oily and greasy, and your forehead may look shiny.
- Combination skin: You will have a mix of oily and dry skin. Your t-zone refers to your forehead and nose, and it is common for these areas to be oily, while your chin and cheeks are dry.
- Mature skin: You may notice your skin start to change. Your skin may become thinner and drier, and wrinkles and fine lines can appear.
Do You Have any Specific Skin Concerns?
Once you know your skin type you can add any specific skin concerns to your product wish list. For example, you may be concerned about aging and want your skincare to combat sun spots, wrinkles, dullness, sagging, and fine lines.
Or, you may have oily skin and be concerned about enlarged pores and acne breakouts.
For those with sensitive skin, redness, rosacea, or allergies, you will need to be extra careful when starting a new routine.
Do You Have the Right Products?
Now you know what you want your skincare products to do, you may be wondering how to build a skincare routine.
For your skincare routine to be effective you do need to be committed to consistency. Cleansing, toning, and moisturizing are the basics and this is a good place to start. If time permits you may also like to add dedicated serums, masks, and treatments.
Your facial products should all be designed to work together. If you pair the wrong products you may be doubling up on a key ingredient, causing stress to your skin.
Products should be used in the correct order, and you should always follow the instructions. We recommend sticking to one brand or line of products and using a system that is built to work seamlessly together.
New to Skincare?
Before you start your skincare routine, take the time to learn about your skin type. Is it normal, oily, mature, dry, or combination skin? And, do you have any specific skin concerns such as acne or rosacea?
Once you have answered these questions you can build your skincare routine. Try to stick to one brand, using products in the correct order for maximum effectiveness. Happy skin is healthy skin, and daily skincare is worth the effort.