Allergies can be caused due to inhaling, touching, or ingesting an allergen. Allergens can vary for each individual. For some, it is dust or pollen; for others, it is certain foods. Over 50 million people have some kind of allergic reaction each year, and it is the sixth leading cause of death in the U.S.
Do you have allergy symptoms? The symptoms of an allergic reaction start showing up within minutes of contact with the allergen. While some may be mild, others can experience severe reactions. These are the top six that you should not ignore.
While not that common, headaches can be caused due to an allergic reaction. If you have regular headaches, weekly or even daily, and don’t know the reason, it is probably an allergic reaction. Your sinuses are stuffy due to the inflammation from an allergic reaction. This excessive mucus build-up can result in a headache.
Food allergies can result in constipation, especially among children. One study in Poland found that about 73% of children under three years visiting the hospital for constipation were allergic reactions to proteins in cow milk. Not just children, adults can also react similarly, and frequent, unexplained episodes of constipation should not be ignored.
Eczema-like rashes can be triggered due to an allergic reaction. The primary triggers are pet dander and dust mites and food allergies in some cases. These rashes can be very itchy, and constant itching can lead to bleeding. Therefore, if you find yourself scratching a rash, check for the reason behind it and consult your allergist today.
Loss Of Sense Of Smell
Allergic reactions cause the nasal cavities to work in overdrive. The frequent inflammation of the nasal tissues and turbinate and the chronic stuffiness can damage the nerve ends in the nasal cavity. You may lose your olfactory sense if treatment is not started quickly. It may begin with being unable to detect mild odors and exaggerate to severe impairment of the olfactory system.
Lack Of Taste Perception
Usually, the olfactory system and the gustatory system react similarly. Therefore, when the sense of smell starts to fade, your taste perception will also wane. You will not notice it immediately, but food will seem tasteless over time. So, if you see yourself adding more salt, sugar, or spices to your food, it should ring alarm bells. If left untreated, it can result in overeating and weight gain.
The swollen tongue is a common allergic reaction resulting from bee stings or food allergies. It makes breathing and swallowing difficult. It means that you cannot take your allergy medication orally. Usually, a swollen tongue is an emergency and needs immediate treatment, or it can result in choking.
Do you have allergy symptoms that may not seem like reactions to an allergen? You need to monitor them closely. Turning a blind eye toward these symptoms can be fatal. While you can’t stop allergic reactions, you can ensure that you know the signs and don’t ignore them. It helps if you have an allergist you can consult for any kind of allergy emergency.