When you visit a store, go to a restaurant, walk around the mall, or spend time in any other location in California, the last thing you expect will occur is for you to slip and fall and suffer an injury through no fault of your own.
However, accidents do happen, and slip and falls happen quite frequently. If this is your case, you may be entitled to receive financial compensation for the damages you have had to deal with. Click personalinjuryking.com to find out exactly how to prove that the party that injured you was negligent, making you eligible to obtain this compensation.
As you are dealing with your injuries and going to doctor’s appointments, treatments, rehabilitation, and more, you may be considering filing a claim against whoever was negligent and caused your injuries. You may also be questioning how much your case might be worth and whether you would need a slip and fall attorney to help you pursue this claim.
What factors determine the value of a slip and fall case in California?
Although you may think that your slip and fall case will end up in court, the reality is that most slip and fall cases get settled after some negotiations between the parties or their legal representatives. It is clear that every case is different, but certain factors do play a role in determining the amount you can hope to receive as compensation for your injuries. These include:
● The extent and severity of your injuries – Be realistic in estimating how badly you are injured before pursuing compensation since minor injuries will likely not be worth very much.
● How permanent your physical injuries are – There is a big difference between suffering a traumatic brain injury, losing the use of your legs or your arms, and having a broken bone that will heal within a couple of months.
● Your income before the accident and your working capacity after the accident – This refers to your ability to return to work in a similar job to the one you had before being injured.
● What percentage of your fault or negligence contributed to the accident.
● The negotiating skills of your attorney.
What is the average slip and fall settlement in California?
The average slip and fall settlement in California ranges between $15,000 and $50,000, depending on how well your case meets the factors listed above. Your injuries are the component that will carry the heaviest weight when it comes to the final amount you may receive. The more severe and extensive, the higher the likelihood that your settlement amount will increase.
What can the compensation cover?
The final compensation you may receive can cover the financial losses you have endured due to the accident. These may include your medical expenses, so keep a detailed log of the treatments and prescriptions you have had to take due to the accident. Also, the income you have lost by being unable to return to work while taking care of your injuries and recovering your health. Your attorney may also add your pain and suffering, which is an amount that is harder to calculate but will be proportional to the extent and permanency of your injuries. If the accident was exceptional enough, the judge may also award you punitive damages.
In all cases, the final amount you get will be impacted by how much you are found to be at fault for the accident. If the other party can prove that you share part of the blame for the accident, the compensation you receive will be reduced significantly.