“Psychometric” is derived from two words, Psycho + metry, which means Mental measurement. A psychometric test is an assessment to evaluate a candidate’s performance, skills, abilities, knowledge, personality and attitude. They are used in recruitments, to assess employees intelligence, skills and personality.
What are the types of psychometric tests?
There are many types of psychometric tests. However, they are divided into two categories: Personality assessments and Aptitude tests.
What are the Benefits of Psychometric Tests?
- Results are Accurate : The results of psychometric tests are more accurate and appropriate in comparison to the results of only interviews.
- Reliable and Unbiased : These results are more reliable and unbiased due to no human interference in between.
- Check out other options : You have already selected a field, working on it for years, but you often feel like you were meant to do something else. It may create confusion and may risk your career. An aptitude test will help you to assess your talents, strengths and hence your passion.
- Discover your Hidden Talents : Your perception of yourself is very complex. Similar to how you cannot see your own nose, you may often be blinded to the things you are best at. It sometimes becomes very hard to discover your brightest talents. This test will help you to determine your inner talents, of which you are unaware.
- Increases employee performance : In addition to being a valuable tool for acquiring new talent, Psychometric Testing is also useful for the development and training of your employees. These tests offer a wonderful way of understanding employee strengths, weaknesses, and interests, allowing organizations to create a unique personal development plan for that individual.
- Cost effective : psychometric assessment results in net cost reduction to an employing organization. No other employees assessment method can assess a high volume of candidates so cheaply or efficiently.
- Time Saving : In addition to the cost saving benefits of psychometric testing, significant time and effort saving can also be realized. The test is designed in a way to be optimally time and effort efficient, improving productivity per user.
- Global functionality : Psychometric assessments available in multiple languages allow for standardized global projects to be carried out using assessments specifically designed for volume recruitment.
- Allows recruitment of the best candidates : Psychometrics allow candidates to be recruited on the best predictors of workplace effectiveness. Validation studies can be carried out to demonstrate predictor ability in different organizations or across different sectors.
- Choosing the right career: Assessing your skills is definitely an important part of your career development. Before starting a career, you need to know what are your strengths, what are you good at, and what are you interested in. These are some of the questions that are constantly running through our minds. As you already know there are many students who are confused about their careers, and professionals are stressed about their work.
- Use in multiple settings : They can be used in a variety of settings, such as education, employment, and career counseling, to help people make informed decisions about their future.
- Helps to identify your personality traits : some psychometric tests are designed to assess an individual’s traits and personality and measure them in a structured way. The results of these tests can provide valuable insights into an individual’s strengths and weaknesses, as well as their interests in various fields. Unlike more traditional aptitude tests, personality tests don’t tend to have a t8me limit. This allows you to answer in your time and not feel rushed to put down an answer.
What are the tips for taking a Psychometric Test :
Psychometric tests come in a variety of forms, but the basic preparation steps are the same. Below are some of the tips for taking test :
- Research the test format : There are a number of commonly used psychometric reasoning tests, including numerical, verbal, diagrammatic, logical, mechanical, abstract, spatial and situational judgment.Your assessment will differ in length, structure and time limit, depending upon the type of psychometric test set and the publisher providing the assessment. Knowing the format of the test – how many sections, the number of questions, the time given for completion – will help you to feel clear on the task ahead.
- Practice the psychometric tests online : As always said, only theory will not take you anywhere. When you are preparing for a test, especially with MCQs, solving questions plays a very important role in passing such tests. Practice more and more tests online. Get aware of the types of questions asked in the test.
- Time Management : All aptitude tests in the psychometric test are timed. On the other hand they are also designed in a way that only some among those who take such a test can actually finish it. You don’t have to complete all the test questions to get a good perfect score, you need to attempt easy questions first, and then jump to hard one’s.
- Bring tools that are allowed : In many tests you will get Numerical questions , where you may need calculators for a while. This tools will save you time on manual calculations.
- Plan your online test session : If your test is online, you have an option to choose the timings of your exam. So, think about when you work best, according to your sleep wake schedule. Also choose a quiet time when you are least likely to be disturbed. Turn off your phone and any other distractions before the test. Make sure you have everything you need before you start your test: a calculator, a couple of pens, and a copy or papers.
- Read the instructions carefully : Don’t assume instructions, read them ! It will take a few minutes to read the instructions, don’t rush on to give tests, instead read instructions carefully first.
- Read every option : If it is a Multiple choice question test, as all psychometric tests are, do read all options. Sometimes, the options are framed in such a way that in a rush you may tick the wrong option, so always read all options carefully.
Mercer | Mettl offers psychometric test services, which can help candidates to know their capabilities.