California Business Journal focuses on writing dynamic and compelling magazine articles on small businesses, startups, business owners, entrepreneurs and general business professionals.
Approximately 96 percent of companies in California — and the U.S. — are considered small businesses (10-100 employees, $2.5 million in revenue). Of these 96 percent, less than one percent receive media exposure.
That’s what spurred the creation of California Business Journal, which believes “Every Business Has a Story.”
CalBizJournal tells the story of these small businesses and startups in an engaging, insightful, authoritative, entertaining and compelling manner.
The articles are written in a professional, lively style that is geared to uncover the inside story, the drama, excitement and challenges in businesses, industries and business people.
For more information or to submit a story idea or for advertising questions, contact Rick@CalBizJournal.com or call 949-648-3815.
CALIFORNIA BUSINESS JOURNAL STAFF
- Rick Weinberg, CBJ Founder, Publisher and Editor-in-Chief (see Rick’s bio below).
- Susan Belknapp, CBJ Senior Writer. Susan is the former editor of OC Register Metro, an Orange County business-lifestyles magazine and website, and OC Register Family. She has published hundreds of articles on topics that range from semiconductors to surf culture. She holds a degree in screenwriting from USC. To read Susan’s CBJ articles, click here.
- Judd Spicer, CBJ Senior Writer. Judd has written for Los Angeles Magazine, ESPN.com, Golf Channel, Minnesota Law & Politics Magazine, Super Lawyers, WorldGolf.com, Minnesota Golf & Living, Minnesota Magazine, Gameday, Dr. Stats.com, SLAM.com, Max Boxing, Fantasy Football Champs, Palm Springs Life, Desert Golf Magazine, The Desert Sun, NCAA.com, Pebble Beach Magazine, FORE Magazine, Southland Golf Magazine and Mpls./St. Paul Magazine. The Wall Street Journal online has thrice linked to his work, with one piece appearing in the “Numbers Guy” column and two articles referenced in “The Daily Fix.” To read Judd’s CBJ articles, click here.
- Dana Kilroy Sullivan, CBJ Staff Writer. Dana has written for Fast Company, Inc., The New York Times, USA Today, The Los Angeles Times, The Wall Street Journal.com, The Oprah Magazine, ESPN, Outside, Parenting, Self, Redbook, Health, Parents, Fitness and Shape. She also teaches Journalism at the University of Nevada, earned her B.A. in English Literature at UCLA, her Masters in Digital Journalism at the University of Nevada and is working on her second Masters in English at Butler University. See Dana’s CBJ articles here.
- Chris Cassacchi, CBJ Senior Writer. Chris was Technology Editor for the Orange County Business Journal before joining CBJ. He also covers U.S. small businesses, trends, policies and other issues that affect this key economic segment for LegalZoom and Marijuana Business Daily. See Chris’ CBJ articles here.
- Victoria Kertz, CBJ Staff Writer. Victoria has written for Laguna Beach Magazine, Newport Beach Independent, Saute Magazine, The Fullest, Local Dish Magazine and Blue Sky The Color of Imagination. She holds a business degree from Appalachian State University. Read Victoria’s CBJ articles here.
- Brenda Gazzar, CBJ Staff Writer. Brenda has written for the Los Angeles Daily News, The Jerusalem Post, Pasadena Star-News and is Founder and Chief Speech Writer at Keynote Creations. She earned her Masters in Communications and Middle Eastern Studies at the University of Texas. She also attended The Hebrew University, specializing in Middle Eastern Studies. See Brenda’s CBJ articles here.
- Scott S. Smith, CBJ Staff Writer. Scott has written for Investor’s Business Daily and Angeleno Magazine. He is the author of Extraordinary People: Real Life Lessons on What It Takes to Achieve Success. See Scott’s CBJ articles here.
- Leslie Hughes, CBJ Staff Writer. Leslie is a Montana-born-and-raised freelance writer living in sunny Venice Beach, and dreaming big is her gig. With over 10 years of experience in crafting words, and years of embarking on travels that have taken this Montana girl to some incredible places, she loves the adventures of both body and mind her writing takes her on. Leslie specializes in travel writing, business writing, health and wellness writing. Writing is her passion, and she feels fortunate to call this work her job. Everywhere she goes, she takes this advice with her: “HOLD ON TO YOUR DIVINE BLUSH, YOUR INNATE ROSY MAGIC, OR END UP BROWN.” – TOM ROBBINS, JITTERBUG PERFUME. See Leslie’s CBJ articles here.
- Editorial assistants: Annette DuBois, Lizbeth Mora, Debra Amato, Roberta Schwartzman and Anna Rodriguez.
The Founder, Publisher and Editor-in-Chief of California Business Journal is Rick Weinberg, formerly of the New York Times, FOX, On Wall Street Magazine and ESPN.
Rick Weinberg has written extensively about business, sports, art and culture, education, human interest and entertainment. He has covered Major League Baseball, Wall Street, NFL, NBA and professional boxing, and has written more than 5,000 stories in his career. He has conducted one-on-one interviews with and written stories on some of the most well-known personalities in business and sports, including Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Derek Jeter, Alex Rodriquez, John Elway, Joe Montana, Troy Aikman, Brett Favre, Steve Young, Shaquille O’Neal, Cal Ripken Jr., Roger Clemens, Mickey Mantle, Reggie Jackson, Ken Griffey Jr., Charles Barkley, Rick Pitino, Oscar De La Hoya, Mike Tyson, Pete Rose, Barry Bonds, Darryl Strawberry, Deion Sanders, Mark McGwire, Hank Aaron, Patrick Ewing, Wayne Gretzky, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Kirby Puckett, Bo Jackson, Lawrence Taylor, Julius Irving, Jerry Rice, Tony Gwynn, Mike Schmidt, Rickey Henderson, Wade Boggs, Dan Marino, Roberto Duran, Dwight Gooden, George Brett, Robin Yount, Paul Molitor, Jerry West, Al Davis, Fernando Valenzuela, Sugar Ray Leonard, Bill Russell, Joe DiMaggio, Bobby Orr, Julius Erving, Jimmy Connors, Sammy Sosa, Dennis Rodman, George Steinbrenner, John Wooden and Nolan Ryan.
Outside of sports, Rick has interviewed such prominent personalities as Warren Buffett, Steve Winn (Owner of the MGM and Wynn Hotel in Las Vegas), former Merrill Lynch CEO Stanley O’Neal, former New York Attorney General Eliot Spitzer, JP Morgan CEO Jamie Dimon, actors Clint Eastwood and Arnold Schwarzenegger, former Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) Chairmen Arthur Levitt and Harvey Pitt, and many politicians including Dianne Feinstein, Richard Riordan and Oscar Goodman.
In addition to working for FOX, New York Times, ESPN and Associated Press, Rick worked as a national columnist, editor and lead feature writer for Inside Sports Magazine, SPORT Magazine and TotalSports.net, where he was one of the co-founders and original columnists. (TotalSports.net was sold in 2006 and renamed TotalSports Entertainment.) Rick’s articles have also appeared in the Los Angeles Times, Sports Illustrated, USA Today, Boston Globe and an assortment of books, including Glory in the Fall and the Best Sportswriting book series. Additionally, Rick helped launch Los Angeles Lifestyle and Golf Magazine and was the publication’s Editor-in-Chief.
After joining the New York Times, Rick soon launched his TV career with ESPN2 before moving to FOX Sports, where he hosted his own “insider” segment called Press Box Insider.
PRESS BOX INSIDER HIGHLIGHTS
FOR ALL VIDEOS ON RICK WEINBERG, GO TO CALIFORNIA BUSINESS JOURNAL’S YOUTUBE VIDEO CHANNEL.
Rick has also written a book on former NFL and MLB star Bo Jackson and has edited many books, including Tibet: Treasures From The Roof of the World (an acclaimed museum art exhibit) and Classic Wiley: A Lifetime of Punchers, Players, Punks and Prophets, one of ESPN’s best-selling books.
Rick has also written three screenplays: The Comeback, Masquerade and Amazin’.
At the height of his career, Rick decided to leave sports to become a business writer and editor covering Wall Street and finance. He has authored hundreds of stories on Wall Street firms, business executives, financial trends, news, entrepreneurs and IPOs.
It was at this time that Rick noticed a void in the media’s coverage of businesses — the lack of media exposure given to small- and medium-sized local businesses. So he launched California Business Journal to focus on these types of companies — to tell their compelling and inspiring stories.
To read testimonials about Rick Weinberg and the impact of California Business Journal articles, go to https://calbizjournal.com/testimonials/
Other Interviews With Rick Weinberg
Rick Weinberg’s Body of Work
Wall Street, ESPN, New York Times articles and assorted feature stories
Rick Weinberg selected New York Times articles
Sport Magazine Cover Story on Michael Jordan (his first major national media interview after quitting the NBA for baseball)
Inside Sports Magazine Cover Story on Barry Bonds
Rick Weinberg Sport Magazine Columnist (selected “Sport Beat” columns)
Inside Sports Magazine Cover Story Interview with Denver Broncos Hall of Fame Super Bowl-Winning Quarterback John Elway
Sport Magazine Exclusive Interview With Roger Clemens (his first national media interview after defecting from the Boston Red Sox to sign a free-agent contract with the Toronto Blue Jays)
Inside Sports Magazine Exclusive Interview With Rick Pitino (his first national magazine interview since taking over as Boston Celtics President, GM and Head Coach)
Sport Magazine Exclusive Cover Story Interview with NFL and MLB Star Deion Sanders (he announced he was quitting the NFL to concentrate on baseball full-time)
Sport Magazine Cover Story on Patrick Ewing’s and Hakeem Olajuwon’s “Quest For The Ring.” (One month later, the two centers met in the NBA Finals. Olajuwon prevailed for his first of two consecutive NBA titles. Ewing never went on to capture a NBA title in his career.)
Inside Sports Exclusive Interview with Baseball’s Baddest Bad Boy Albert Belle
Rick has also worked extensively in public relations, marketing, media relations, corporate communications, corporate and strategic partnerships, community relations and business development. He was the Founder and Director of RWPR, which focused on eco-friendly companies, cultural and education organizations and businesses.
As a PR strategist, Rick utilized his extensive journalism experience and global contacts to generate $100 million in media exposure for such clients as Richard M. Nixon Library and Museum, BioLargo Inc., Penn Museum, ArmorLite Technologies, Bowers Museum, Carden Academy, Fairmont Private Schools, Houston Museum of Natural Science, Newport Harbor Nautical Museum, The Rubin Museum of Art, The Leeds Group, Going Green OC, Progressive Lighting and Energy Solutions, REDC Group, Virtuoso Russian Music Academy and an array of art galleries in Laguna Beach and Los Angeles, California.