SaaS stands for ‘Software as a Service’, and it means that instead of material goods or individual finished web products you get access to complex software that is run and maintained by others. It is like DropBox: they manage the system, ensure security, do the bug fixing, and you enjoy the cloud storage for a moderate price and without much hassle.
Ecommerce now can enjoy the same conveniences, which means that you can set up an online shop without knowing a single bit about coding. Technical matters are settled at the backend somewhere over there, and you just reap the benefits of simple UI, stuff your new shop with products and see your sales grow (hopefully). To get it all running, you need to purchase a license (or see it as an all in one fee), have steady Internet connection – and that’s all to your ecommerce redesign (or launch).
But what SaaS providers to choose, if there are plenty of them nowadays and all claim to be the best? Well, look for time tested and widely populated platforms that have already confirmed their functionality and reliability. And of them all, we want to recommend the ones truly exceptional.
- Think ecommerse for everyone – think Shopify. It is the most comprehensive SaaS platform for people who want to start selling their goods without lots or preparatory programming work. It streamlines and simplifies everything not related to your actual transactions with customers (and makes them efficient and simple as well).
– Unlimited access to space and bandwidth;
– Free SSL certification;
– Drag and drop site building;
– Integration with the socials;
– Available app;
– Blogging option;
– Mobile commerce, SEO-ready;
– 100+ payment options (credit cards included).
- Bigcommerce is your next stop. It is strikingly similar to Shopify and has the same fees. Yet, if your sales grow rapidly, Bigcommerce’s rates can become quite punishing, and Shopify becomes a bargain, at this point. Bigcommerce organizes everything necessary for trading in neat tabs, with everything you do not need right now being hidden from view. Another cool feature is that product characteristics are also organized in tabs. So, instead of dumping all product info into a single box, you categorize it (which is convenient for you and for customers).
– Third party store migration option;
– Unlimited space for products and bandwidth;
– Easy to use site constructor;
– Dozens of payment options;
– Opportunity to link to Facebook etc. for selling there as well;
– High level of protection (against DDoS and web threats);
– Cool marketing tools.
- Big Cartel is all about minimalism that does not hinder functionality and affordable pricing for small businesses that only begin to flex their muscles. SaaS web development with it is straightforward and includes few intuitive steps. Basic functions are all in front of you, and after setting a page you just launch your sales. More complex interactions and services are to be found elsewhere, on other platforms, but for starting and nurturing your business from scratch, especially artistic and handmade one, Big Cartel is just perfect.
– Up to 300 items for sale in your shop;
– Unlimited bandwidth;
– A shop can be designed mobile-friendly or in responsive mode;
– Advertising toolkits;
– Point of sale.
- Volusion. It is a great option if you plan to use lots of analytics for mapping your next business step and do not plan to make a personalized storefront with plenty of frills. This platform is one of the oldest, no-nonsense selling toolkit giants, but it may lack somewhat in site building options that have become the standard with all those open source site constructors. Volusion can seem quite pricey compared to other options, but it delivers efficiently on every dollar you spend on it.
– Limited bandwidth (in compliance with purchased service package);
– Unlimited number of products to sell;
– Payment with cards is accepted;
– Variety of individual and packaged SEO tools;
– Easy to use website builder;
– Kits for sales in the socials;
– Processing of orders in batches;
– Great round the clock support.