Thanks to the advancements in technology, reliving the nostalgia and excitement of iconic games from the past has never been easier. With a wide range of MAME (Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator) emulators available for iOS, you can now enjoy an extensive library of arcade titles on your iPhone.
These emulators faithfully recreate the original arcade experience, allowing you to immerse yourself in the classics and indulge in memories of the past.
So, get ready for an exciting journey into the world of MAME games on your iPhone and let the waves of nostalgia wash over you as you dive into this exciting adventure into the past. Here is a step by step guide on how to install and play MAME games on iPhone.
- Get Xcode through the Mac App Store and install it.
- First time using it, you’ll need a developer account. You can get a free one and create it in less than a minute at https://developer.apple.com/account/.
- Get the MAME4iOS Master repository. Get it from the official website, despite being able to find it on other sources too. As you access the repository, go to the code menu and copy the https link available in the clone.
- Run Xcode. You may be asked for more tools as a secondary installation. Go for them, the process is quick and automatic.
- Once the welcome screen pops up, you’ll have an option to close an existing project. You’ll be asked for an address. At this point, paste the https address you’ve copied before.
- You’ll find a drop down menu with a few options. Choose the master one, then go ahead and clone. This step downloads the source code of MAME for iOS.
- Look for the finder button, and you’ll need to open a file. Navigate to your download folder and look for the .xcodeproj file. Unless you’ve changed the settings, it should be in documents by default. You can also use Spotlight to search for it. Once you find it, run it with Xcode.
- Opening it for the first time will require more time. Don’t do anything else, wait patiently until everything is processed.
- Open the settings in Xcode and go to accounts. Click the plus button to add credentials. You’ll have to introduce the Apple ID developer details you’ve created before.
- Hook the iPhone to the Mac and open the window menu in Xcode. Go to devices, then simulators. Your iPhone should be connected, but you need to pair it. Choose to trust the device on the iPhone.
- Open the development mode in your smartphone by going to privacy and security in settings. Find the developer mode and turn it on.
- In Xcode, go where the arrow shows first and then go to the top side of the screen to pick the release version. This is how you install the unit on your iPhone.
- You may have some errors regarding the bundle identifier. Ignore it. Where it says an example, add any word you want. Enter it, and errors will disappear. This part is irrelevant.
- Locate the big play button in Xcode, and that’s when the installation begins. Remember, the iPhone must be connected to the Mac throughout the entire process.
The first time you install it, you’ll have to wait a bit. It takes time to get everything done. Once it’s done, you’ll get a message about a successful build on the iPhone. At the same time, if you go through your apps, you’ll also spot the MAME icon.
This is when you can disconnect the phone from the Mac. Next, you’ll need to find some free MAME games and add them to the emulator. It’s crucial to ensure that you only download ROMs for games that you legally own.
Copyright © 2023 California Business Journal. All Rights Reserved.